Forsters has a specialist team of lawyers drawn from across the firm to provide a full service to clients owning heritage property and works of art. We have a broad range of clients including artists, galleries and auction houses, individual owners and collectors or art, owners of historic houses and their contents, whether individuals, trustees or charities in the UK or overseas.
Our team gives advice on:
- tax and succession planning
- structuring of artists' businesses, agency agreements and lending arrangements
- formation of charities and art foundations
- intellectual property rights including artists' resale rights
- import and export of works of art
- buying and selling art privately or at auction
- conditional exemption and public access requirements, acceptance in lieu scheme, maintenance funds specific to heritage property
- liability and insurance issues for trustee owners of heritage property and art
- disputes regarding ownership, provenance and authenticity of art
- litigation over transactions involving agents, auction houses and galleries.
Forsters' Private Client practice is top ranked in the latest edition of The Chambers HNW Guide.