Caring for the environment
We are committed to running a business that is environmentally sustainable and we continually strive to minimise our impact on the environment. Forsters’ sustainability drive is led and co-ordinated by our dedicated Green Impact Group (“GIG”), headed by CSR partner, Kelly Noel-Smith. GIG meets monthly and is made up of staff from across the firm, including lawyers, facilities managers and secretarial team leaders. We have ongoing debate to ensure we maintain and develop an integrated, comprehensive and practical sustainability policy that ranges from how we source our energy and office supplies, to how we print and recycle.
We measure our sustainability performance by external, objective standards:
- We are a proud member of the Legal Sustainability Alliance, an inclusive movement of law firms committed to working collaboratively to improve the environmental sustainability of our operations and activities.
- Through our relationship with Natural Capital Partners, our carbon footprint is measured on an annual basis and we have had carbon neutral status since 2007.
We operate a number of sustainability schemes across the firm including:
- Our Recycling scheme
- Our ‘Turn it Off’ campaign
- Our paperless drive to reduce unnecessary printing
- Our energy is sourced from renewable sources
- Our office and cleaning materials are sourced from environmentally responsible suppliers.
We strive to go beyond a purely centralised, ‘top down’ approach and encourage a culture of sustainability. Through a range of events throughout the year, we encourage engagement with environmental initiatives. This has included:
- Participating annually in a clean-up of the River Lea, where we remove sometimes hazardous rubbish that poses a threat to surrounding wildlife.
- Annual Celebration of World Environment Day: this year, this included sharing tips on reducing plastic and providing staff with reusable coffee cups, cutlery and water bottles.
- International E-Waste Day – we donate old mobile phones and electronics in collaboration with the Rainbow Trust and Inspire Technologies.
- World Paper Free Day: we encouraged staff to go paper free and to avoid printing alongside a vegetarian breakfast BBQ.
- GIG regularly shares tips and ideas on how to make green and sustainable lifestyle choices in its e-newsletter.
Our sustainability efforts have been recognised by the industry with a shortlisting for the 2020 Lexis Nexis Sustainability Award.
Our sustainability hub brings together insights and legal expertise on a broad range of environmental matters that affect our clients' business and personal affairs.