Every corporate or property transaction will involve some type of tax implication - and the primary concern of our Tax team is to ensure that our clients optimise their allowances, mitigate their liabilities and ensure that their corporate and property tax affairs are in order.
Advising on tax issues in relation to property investment, development, finance and funds work, we specialise in providing clear and strategic advice concerning direct and indirect taxes, including Stamp Duty Land Tax, VAT and business rates. Our clients include institutional and private investors, developers, entrepreneurs; both in the UK and international. We work tandem with our colleagues in the Real Estate and Private Client teams from an early stage.
When considering real estate strategy - the acquisition or disposal of assets, leasing, developing, constructing or investing in commercial property - numerous, and often competing, tax issues will arise and consideration needs to be given to:
- VAT on the purchase and development of the site
- SDLT on the purchase of the site
- direct taxation i.e. the taxation of any income, profits or gains that arise during your ownership of the site
- capital allowances which may serve to reduce your taxable income
- structuring the ownership of property to attract investors and to achieve a tax efficient exit
- bespoke property structures such as REITs and PAIFs
- the correct structuring of corporate transactions to ensure that the tax analysis aligns with the client's commercial objectives.
Our tax experts can advise across the board.
A cross departmental team, led by Client Relationship Partner, Craig Thompson, and Senior Associate Daniel Bryan, has advised long-standing client, Greybull Capital, on their high-profile purchase of the McLaren Group's Applied business division.
On our latest More Than Law podcast, host Miri Stickland is joined by three members of our Build To Rent group who provide their insights into the sector.