9 November 2021

How can I minimise tax when buying a UK house from abroad? Lucy Barber answers the Financial Times reader's question

Head of Residential Property, Lucy Barber, answers the reader's question ‘How can I minimise tax when buying a UK house from abroad?’ for the Financial Times.

In her response, Lucy explains the two taxes likely to have the greatest impact are stamp duty land tax (SDLT) and inheritance tax (IHT).

She highlights that while an additional 2 percent surcharge will be payable on SDLT due to the reader's non-UK residence, if they were to remain in the UK for at least 183 days in the 12-month following the purchase, a refund may be sought.

In regards to IHT, the reader will be liable to pay this at a rate of 40 percent, however Lucy addresses how the amount of IHT payable can be mitigated.

Read the full answer here (behind a paywall).

Our Insights

"They take a very pragmatic and collaborative approach to matters."
Chambers HNW Guide, 2022