A new firm with a long history
Forsters was formed in 1998 by ten partners from Frere Cholmeley Bischoff, who decided to create a new firm rather than take part in a merger with a large firm based in the City. Their vision was to create a new firm with a distinctive culture which could provide a genuine alternative to City firms.
Despite being formed at the end of the 20th century Forsters traces its roots back over 265 years and takes its name from John Forster who in 1770 went into partnership with Isaac Bargrave in Lincoln's Inn Fields. Over the next 150 years several generations of the Forster family became partners in the firm. John was followed by his sons Martin and Samuel, his grandson William and William's son Arthur who maintained a strong connection with the firm and the Forster family into the 20th century.
The new firm, Forsters, with 10 partners and 100 people in total opened for business in Grosvenor Street, Mayfair on 1 August 1998. The firm's reputation and client base grew steadily in the early 2000s until the need to accommodate a headcount of over 150 people saw Forsters move to its current offices at 31 Hill Street where it remains today.
Forsters has continued to prosper, its success is marked by growth across the business which now has 57 partners and 400 people in total. This increase has seen the firm expand into two adjacent offices and has made Forsters the largest law firm in Mayfair.